Position Title: Operations and Maintenance Coordinator (Click here to download the official description)
Contact Kathy Maxwell to apply, or for more info. (firstname.lastname@example.org OR 420-467-5340 ext. 119)
Reports to: Executive Director
The Franciscan Center is an outreach organization that serves the needs of the poor and homeless in Baltimore City. It was founded in 1968 by the Franciscan Sisters of Baltimore. The Sisters have been serving the vulnerable residents of Baltimore since the 1890’s. The Center provides services and outreach programs that help remove the barriers of poverty and assist people in building self-sufficient lives. The ethos of the Franciscan Center is to treat everyone that comes through our doors with dignity and respect. It is important that applicants feel that they can uphold this value while doing their job.
The primary responsibility of this position is to ensure that the Center operates in an efficient, cost effective manner and that it is clean, safe and free of debris which creates a dignified and welcoming space. You will oversee upkeep and maintenance of the Franciscan Center’s physical plant and equipment, manage collection of in-kind donations and ensure that the interior and exterior of the building are clean and safe.
- In keeping with the Franciscan spirit that animates our mission, be courteous to all staff, volunteers, donors and guests when you come in contact with them
- Ensure efficient, cost-effective operation of the Franciscan Center’s physical plant and equipment.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and complete necessary reporting.
- Serve as point of contact with vendors to provide upkeep and maintenance of equipment and order repairs in the event of malfunction.
- Conduct routine inter-department audits to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Develop Plan of Correction when necessary
- Confer with the Executive Director on issues requiring attention.
- Work in conjunction with the Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator to oversee scheduling, collection and tracking of in-kind donations to the Franciscan Center.
- Serve as point of contact for the outside security company during program hours.
- Serve as secondary contact for after-hours security calls, following Executive Director.
- Substitute for security when needed to help with crowd control and assisting guests, particularly the Responsive Services Department.
- Coordinate unloading of deliveries to the Center that are purchased or donated. This can be strenuous and involves a high amount of energy and strength at times.
- Ensure that common areas stay clean during program hours and that bathrooms remain stocked with toilet paper and soap.
- Handle maintenance concerns in compliance with building and maintenance codes.
- Perform routine inspection to determine areas, either in the building or around the grounds, which require improvement.
- Procure, review, maintain, and control supplies.
- Monitor performance of outside cleaning company.
- Maintain exterior entrances to the Franciscan Center (courtyards; sidewalks; alley) and the basement (barber area and Attire 4 Hire), ensuring that they are clean, safe and free of debris. Coordinate snow removal in the event of inclement weather.
- Remain flexible and available during work hours.
- Be present at mandatory staff functions such as staff meetings, special meetings or retreats
- Adhere to the assigned hours for the position.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor or the Executive Director
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Good judgment; ability to prioritize and flexibility.
- Ability to make independent decisions when appropriate
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think logically for interpreting and analyzing problems assigned or encountered
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with attention to detail and follow-up
- Good communications skills and ability to deal tactfully with donors, staff, vendors, volunteers and guests of the Center as well as the general public.
- Willing to seek out new methods that can assist in your job, and incorporate them into existing practices
- Well-groomed and patient, with a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm for the mission of the Franciscan Center
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
Physical effort is needed. Seventy-five percent of the workday is spent standing intermittently, pushing, cleaning, lifting and bending. Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 lbs. Requires manual coordination to operate custodial equipment. Requires continuous mental and visual attention. Must be able to function efficiently despite distractions and interruptions. Communicates with clients, co-workers, clients and the general public. Works in a well-lighted, heavily trafficked area. Must be able to handle multiple routine tasks, following specific instructions carefully and general instructions completely.