Position Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Executive Director
This position is responsible for the financial operations for the Franciscan Center (the Center).
The Director of Finance is responsible for the financial books and records of the Center in accordance with GAAP requirements, and assists management with the annual budget process, grant expenditure tracking and analysis, and the year-end audit.
- Experience in daily accounting workflow, including general ledger maintenance, daily journal entries, deferred revenue accounting, grant accounting and reporting, account analysis and reconciliation.
- Assists Executive Director with all financial matters, including the annual audit and fiscal reporting requirements.
- Excellent analytic skills.
- Proven ability to perform complex analysis of financial data.
- Able to create a series of Excel and accounting system reports.
- Possess a clear understanding and application of daily routine bookkeeping activity and general ledger account activity.
- Ability to communicate financial information in a way that is accessible to others.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, handling and prioritizing multiple time-sensitive and on-going projects; possess a firm commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Excel, Word and QuickBooks.
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics. A strong character that will quickly gain the trust of others.
- Comfortable in a frequently changing environment.
- Someone who can work extremely well with others, demonstrating flexibility, kindness and a calm style.
- Prepare all approved vendor payments through the general ledger.
- Prepare bank deposits, records deposits into the general ledger, and reconcile all cash accounts monthly.
- Record all online and credit card donations (PayPal) into the general ledger.
- Record all revenue and expenses using the class feature for applicable expense allocations.
- Assist with grant applications; track grant expenditures and prepare financial reporting for grantors.
- Process and record bi-weekly payroll; verifying hours worked and maintain leave balances.
- Record investment activity monthly and maintain relationship with investment firm.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts to subsidiary ledgers and third party statements.
- Track all restricted donations and corresponding releases of restrictions.
- Prepare monthly general journal entries as required (i.e. depreciation, prepaids, accruals, deferred revenue, expense allocations, etc.).
- Reconcile the general ledger to Raiser’s Edge (donation software) each month.
- Review budget versus actual monthly.
- Prepare financial reports as required.
- Provide monthly financial statements to the Executive Director and Finance Committee for review.
- Act as the Corporate Secretary, attend Board meetings, and prepare Board meeting minutes.
- Prepare required schedules for the annual audit in collaboration with an outside accounting firm.
- Assist management with the development of the annual budget.
- Human Resources
- Maintains employee personnel files with a completed application and other required supporting documentation
- Assist with new employee onboarding, including payroll and benefits enrollment.
- Serves as liaison for health insurance, worker’s compensation, liability and property benefits
- Assists the Executive Director in handling human resource issues with the Center’s staff
- Attends all staff meetings, department meetings, and staff functions.
- Completes assignments as requested by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting
- Five years of successful employment as a financial manager or a position that utilizes accounting functions in a nonprofit setting.
- Grants management and tracking experience.
- Experience working with city, state and federal grants and reporting is a plus.Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and QuickBooks. Working knowledge of Razor’s Edge a plus